Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Into My Brain

I thought of a decent way to describe what it feels like going from stable and happy to depressed. Mostly I'm pretty proud of myself for thinking this up.

Normally, a person's brain works like a railroad track. The track allows trains to transport things from one place to another. Taking that imagery to apply to the mind, the train symbolizes the chemicals interacting with one another to keep one's emotions stable. Sometimes we feel angry, scared, or sad, but these chemicals travel from point A in the brain to point B, helping us sort through and get through these emotions. A normal, non-depressed person's brain would look something like this in our imagery:



The chemicals can travel smoothly along their "track," so to speak.

Sometimes, my brain can resemble this. Everything is held together, and the chemicals can travel and interact with different parts of the brain easily. However, sometimes, something slips. A railroad spike comes loose, or a rail gets warped. Eventually, my brain looks more like this:

With no track to go on, the chemicals get "lost." They don't interact with the parts of the brain they need to, and it's like a train wreck happens in my mind. Once the damage has been done, the only thing I can do is try to fix it. As I take care of myself and do what I need to do, take proper types and dosages of my anti-depressants, slowly, my train track gets fixed. Sometimes I need help from friends and family to fix it. Sometimes I need the help of psychologists to help sort out the mess and rebuild my train track.

I thought this was pretty good.

On another note, I've been feeling much better than I was before. Having the support of friends and family has helped more than I can express, and I'd like to express my gratitude at all those who reached out to me when I wasn't feeling well. That's not to say I won't become depressed again later on, but for now, I'm pretty stable. I even got excited about having a cute little girl, so I made a cute little headband and a cute little hat! Needless to say, my daughter is going to be the absolute cutest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment