Thursday, February 17, 2011

How I Save Money On Baby Food

I have found THE BEST way of saving money on baby food for Anya! I make it myself!

At WinCo foods, you can buy rice in bulk, and I found long-grain brown rice for $0.60/lb. I cook it, put it in the blender, and then serve it up with some pureed fruits or veggies which I also make myself.

Today, I went to Smith's and got a box of baby cereal for travelling purposes. The box itself was around $0.15-$0.20/oz. Multiply that by 16 oz, and it ends up at $1.80/lb!

The baby food I make only lasts for a day before I deem it "bad." (Can't have the little cutie getting sick!) However, I can usually predict how much Anya will eat, so I only have to make enough for one day. Anya loves it (except for peas. There is no getting that girl to like peas...) and our grocery bill has gone WAY down this week!

I'm a rockstar of a mom.

3 comments:

  1. I made Raiden's baby food, too! It is so much easier and healtier and cheaper. Do you know that you can make a larger batch and freeze it? Put iit in an ice cube tray over night then transfer it to ziplock feezer bags. Then just pop a couple cubes in the microwave or refrigerator to thaw. It will keep for about 3 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning to make this kid's food too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRandi, I tried freezing it, but when it thawed it came out weird and Anya didn't like it. Maybe it's because I didnt put it in an ice cube tray...hmm...new experiments!

    ReplyDelete