Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Adoption

Since Anya was born, I've been saying, "I want to wait 2-3 years to have another baby." I've been pretty adament about this, and, in a sense, I still am. I absolutely do not want to be pregnant until AT LEAST Anya is 2. Pregnancy was hard! Add my VERY active and mischevious child to the mix, and the idea of being pregnant is kind of scary! Plus, my body doesn't like conception very much, and I'll admit, I really don't want to risk having another miscarriage right now. My dad just died. Losing a baby too would be far too much to handle. If you've experienced the pain of miscarriage, you probably know what I'm talking about on this one.

However, as I'm watching my baby become a little girl so quickly, I remember what it was like for me to be an only child for so much of my childhood. I think of my 4 bedroom house with only 2 bedrooms being used. As Daniel and I relate childhood stories with one another, I love how he always had someone to play with and fight with, as the case may have been. I also love seeing the tenderness and understanding he and his brother have toward each other even now. Although they're very different people, they obviously have a respect and loyalty to one another.

For myself, I want another child. For Anya, I want another child. However, I really am not ready to be pregnant right now.

One thing Daniel and I have looked into since before Anya was concieved is adoption. We really want to be foster parents and we'd like to adopt to add to our family. To us, it doesn't matter if we adopt a baby or an older child.

Therefore, this is me publicly stating that we need to get a few things in order to feel better about adoption, such as health insurance and starting to save up to be able to more easily pay for the adoption costs. Until then, we can benefit the lives of many children who are in foster care and whose families are working to become better parents to be able to raise these children themselves. This is something we've both felt very good about, and at least want to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment